Shingkhar Gewog Administration, Zhemgang Dzongkhag
Shingkhar Gewog is one of the eight Gewogs of the Zhemgang Dzongkhag bordered by Sengor Gewog of Mongar Dzongkhag in the east, Bardo Gewog in the south, Nangkor Gewog in the west and Chumey and Ura Gewog of Bumthang in the North. The Gewog is administered from the Gewog Centre established at Shingkhar village, approximately about 120 km from the Dzongkhag Headquarter. The Gewog lies at an elevation ranging from 1000 to 4000-masl. It falls in an area having micro-climatic differences, characterized by south facing slopes much drier and warmer than the north facing slopes, which has different vegetation pattern with recess close to tributaries and are moist and receives limited sunshine. The northern portion of the Gewog falls under the Phrumsengla National Park. There are seven villages which have derived their names either based on the beliefs, observation, landscape, or the times of settlement. The Gewog has approximately about 325 sq.km of area out of which 77% forest cover.
Zangling is derived from combined word of ‘Zang’ and ‘Ling’ meaning ‘land of copper’. A hollow stone considered to be ‘nye’ ‘a sacred place’, located towards the south of village,gives a sound of copper drum when it is beaten. The other popular sacred site located in this area is Ugyenpong (Guru’s sacred site).
Thajong is last of the entire villages in the locality to be inhabited by the people from Nimshong and Zangling village. ‘Thajong’ literally means ‘last of the land or place’.
Nimshong village receives very early sunrise after dawn compared to other villages in the vicinity. The name therefore, was derived from term ‘Nimjong’ meaning land or place of sun. In this village, sacred remains of Guru Rinpoche can be seen at two locations Ugyengor Nye and Kemegor (where a demon was subdued).
Radhi possibly derived its name from the sardonic term brag ‘dod meaning attachment to the landscape they occupied, surrounded by crag (Brag in Khengkha is cliffs) on three sides (north, south and east). Therefore, the name of the village initially could have been ‘brag ‘död’ changing to Radhi later.
Shingkhar derived its name from ‘Zhingkham (‘abode of peace). The Village has two important sacred sites of Guru Rinpoche (Kuje Nye and Tingkar Nye). Historically, Shingkhar village occupied a significant place in the history of the Khengrig namsum, where village (Shingkhar Trong) housed the office of Dungpa appointed during the reign of 2nd Druk Gyalpo to administer the region until the position of Gup was created.
Wamling was known as ‘Womailing’ meaning ‘land of milk’. ‘Womailing’ could have changed to Wamling due to change in pronunciation. Village also possess significant site, Tangtsho (Lake) located about half an hour walk from the Wamling Tshokiling Dratshang.
Thrisa village was first occupied by settlers from Tunglabi, presently under Bardo Gewog as the new tax bearer (Threlpa) to the government. Thus, the newly occupied land came to be known as ‘Threlsa’, meaning ‘Land for Tax’, later it has changed to ‘Thrisa’. The other source says ‘Thri’ meaning throne and ‘sar’ means new. A new village located on the landscape which appeared like a throne came to be known as ‘Thrisar’.
- Total Area (sq. KM): 325
- Altitude Range (M):1000-4000
- Total Population: 1,276
- Total Village:7
- Total Road (KM): 33.78
- Total Household: 319